This 12 hours course gives you the competence to provide care and manage life threatening conditions, illness and injuries in an early years setting. It offers the opportunity to provide correct and effective first aid care to children and babies. This is achieved through an understanding of the general duties, responsibilities and treatment principles of paediatric first aid.
This course have been developed in accordance with Skills for Care and Development (SfC&D) – the UK Sector Skills Council (SSC) for social care, children in early years and the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) First Aid regulations.
The EYFS statutory framework states that at least one person who has a current 2 day paediatric first aid (PFA) certificate must be on the premises and available at all times when children are present. They must also accompany children on outings. In addition, all newly qualified entrants to the early years workforce, on or after 30th June 2016, must also have either the full PFA or the Emergency Paediatric first aid (EPFA) certificate within three months of starting work in an early years setting.
You can choose a qualification to the Ofqual standards, or our Grays Medic approved CPD certification valid for 3 years.
(This course is accredited by CPD Group)
What will you learn on this course?
- Role and responsibilities of the paediatric first aider.
- Assess an emergency situation safely.
- Legal position of paediatric care.
- First Aid Boxes and grab bags.
- Head bumps.
- Seizures and Epilepsy.
- CPR child and baby.
- Bleeding and Wounds..
- Fractures and Dislocations.
- Sprains and Strains.
- Head and Spinal injuries.
- Conditions affecting the eyes, ears and nose.
- Sickle Cell.
- Febrile convulsions.
- Effects of extreme heat or cold.
- Electric shock.
- Burns and Scalds.
- Bites and stings.
Who should attends this course?
- Children’s Carers, Nannies, Babysitters, Teachers, School staff, Parents.
- People who work with babies, infants or children .
- People wishing to develop skills, knowledge and understanding of first aid to enable them to provide care and manage life threatening conditions, illness and injuries in early year’s settings.
What are the purposes of this course?
To develop skills, knowledge and understanding of first aid to enable them to provide care and manage life threatening conditions, illness and injuries in early years settings. It offers the opportunity for those involved to provide quality and effective first aid care. This is achieved through an understanding of the general duties, responsibilities and treatment principles of first aid.
What type of assessment does the course use?
Our assessment methods for this course include:
- Practical Demonstration.
- Group Discussion.
- Case study.
- Observation of learner’s skills.
- Question and Answer sessions inc’ written assessment.
How long does this course take?
This course is delivered as a 2-day programme (12 hours) and the qualification lasts for a period of 3 years. Note: It is recommended that learners refresh their knowledge annually.
When and Where you can take the course?
In-house training: This course is delivered anywhere in the UK at your premises.
Contact us for your In-house training.
Private Course: We can organise and deliver your course at the location that suits you.
Contact us for your Private Course
Open Course: We offer scheduled Paediatric First Aid courses in different locations. Book your Open course