Sports injuries can be caused by:
- an accident – such as a fall or heavy blow
- not warming up properly before exercising
- using inappropriate equipment or poor technique
- pushing yourself too hard
Almost any part of the body can be injured, including the muscles, bones, joints and connective tissues (tendons and ligaments). The ankles and knees are some of the most commonly affected areas.
Visit NHS Choices to know more about the most common sport injuries
You can reduce your risk of getting injured by:
- warming up properly before you exercise.
- not pushing your body beyond your current fitness level.
- using appropriate equipment for specific sports.
- receiving coaching to learn correct techniques.
Source: NHS Choices.